Saturday 22 June 2013

Dressing After Weight Gain

Everyone knows that each day requires a great outfit, right? Of course!

And everyone knows that you should look your best to feel your best, right? Yes. 

Well, I get this knot in my stomach when I think about outfits for occasions or outings - could be Crohn's related - because although I love fashion and all things beauty, my post-steroid body is not as it once was. I'm losing the weight now, but I still need clothes that fit.

Steroid weight gain means that you could go from a size 10 to a size 16 in a matter of weeks - this happened to me - and the most noticeable place it goes to is your face and your stomach. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being big at all, but when your weight gain is drastic, you feel like a fish out of water. Then when the invitations come to go out to simple things such as the cinema, dinner, or to the Zoo - random I know - you immediately want to decline because you have nothing that fits.

I've learned to stop stressing over the clothes that no longer fit, or trying to squeeze into them, and have bought clothes that compliment my current body and make me feel great.

If you're currently undergoing treatment that causes your weight to rocket, firstly I truly empathise. *teddybear hug* 

Secondly, I think it is important that you wear clothes make you feel fabulous and don't cut you off in the wrong places. For instance, I'm a big jeans fan and while low-rise jeans are great, they will make your stomach appear more round when worn. Opt for High Waisted Jeans that will pull in your tummy so that you don't feel conscious that people are staring at you - or is that just me? 

These are two of my favourites.
New Look - £22.99
Topshop - £40




















If they feel too tight, or the waistband is uncomfortable on your stomach, try Dorothy Perkins' Jeggings instead (I consider them a wardrobe staple). I have at least 4 pairs that I rotate often. They fit like a glove, and can be dressed up or down. They are available in other colours, but if you aren't daring enough to go bold, these two will look just as great.

Dorothy Perkins - £20 
Dorothy Perkins - £20
Buy Quick as they are on sale! 

Topshop also have some amazing Jeggings that look great with just about anything.

Try not to get hung up over the size that you're buying either, there are more variations in body shape than there are clothes sizes. Fact! Focus more on the fit. This was once easier said than done, but if you refuse point blank to wear a size that you aren't happy with, find an alternative. 

What works for me are Topshop's Heavyweight Leggings. They are available in lots of colours, and they work wonders for shaping your thighs! They too look great dressed up or down. I'm emphasising this point because your weight gain is temporary, so you don't need to spend a fortune buying everyday Jeans, smart Jeans, casual Leggings and dressy Jeggings. Be practical with what you buy as you don't want to regret losing the weight and having lots of great clothes you can no longer fit into.

Topshop - £18
Topshop - £18

Now to truly feel fabulous in any of the bottoms, you need great tops. For me, I prefer H&M's loose fitting Blouses that skim over the stomach, as opposed to tight fitting tops. 

For the more casual outing try NewLook's Boyfriend T-Shirts, and because they are loose fitting, they will definitely hide the problem areas. They look great hanging loose, but if you want to wear it a different way, tuck about 2 inches into your Jeggings so that it creates a bubble hem. 

You could also wear Primark's sleeveless Shirts, which are finally available online. Confession: I only added this in because I was excited about them joining the digital world; it's only taken forever! However, they are nice options for a daytime look.

If you want to up the ante and create an hourglass figure, or enhance it, wear a Peplum top - they look amazing whatever the occasion. Either plain, or with bright floral patterns, you'll feel great. I particularly love New Looks range because of the print - I'm obsessed with floral - and they make me feel girly.

New Look - £14.99
New Look - £14.99
There are plenty other styles that will hide a multitude of sins and keep you looking on trend regardless of your size or body shape. Make it work for you and don't be defeated!

Let me know what you think, and show me your favourite styles.

Stay beautiful and keep smiling,
Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment