Wednesday 28 August 2013

Streamlined Silhouettes

During the course of Steroids, clothes can either be your best friend or your worst nightmare. Why you ask? I thought it was obvious...you bloat...everywhere! I found that dressing my new frame was one of the hardest things to do, I seemed to be getting bigger by the hour. It's deeply depressing because you know the medication is working for the greater good, but the side effects seriously suck! Getting better is one thing, but looking and feeling puffed up doesn't exactly make you feel great.

The perfect way to describe Steroids is that it makes everyday life bittersweet. Although it reduces internal swelling, stops frequent bowel movements, and makes each day more manageable, it does so at the expense of blowing you up like a balloon. (I'm not even exaggerating here, you genuinely blow up - see below)

I'm pretty sure this was me at my biggest -
Moon face alert!

The major giveaway to my weight gain is my face, arms, and the dreaded swollen foot. (Seriously annoying.) What worked for me here - you may disagree - is that I wore a loose Sleeveless Blouse and mirrored this with a Dip-Hemmed Maxi Skirt. I'm almost certain this was one of the hottest days of the year, so I didn't want anything to cling to me, I probably would have sweat patches everywhere - another annoying side effect, hot flushes.

After speaking with a few people on long-term Steroids, we all agreed that bloating and looking almost 6 months pregnant was by far the most embarrassing side effect. I've been questioned, or rather confronted as to whether I'm pregnant, why I'm "getting so fat" - in those exact words I might add - and why I've been "stuffing my face with unhealthy food". *Sigh* Yes people were that ignorant and rude. Their words cut like a knife and most days I wanted to crawl under a rock until I was off the meds. Was that a way to live? Certainly not.

I've delayed writing this post because I was a tad embarrassed, but you know what, feeling ashamed about something I couldn't control made me feel worse about myself. I used to let Crohn's rule me and when it would flare, I became the person that never left my room and always declined invitations because I felt and looked awful (or so I thought). Because of this, I decided to bare all and share my secret to looking great whilst living with a temporarily bigger frame.

So how do you streamline your silhouette I hear you ask? Simple, with Shapewear! You may not see this as a reason to be embarrassed, but for a 23 year old to admit that I've had to wear undergarments that suck me in is not an easy thing to do. I mean let's face it, I couldn't exactly wear my Loose Blouse and Maxi Skirt every day of the week could I?

While some people can go to the gym to lose the extra pounds, that's not exactly easy to do when you're on Steroids, and don't let anyone tell you it is either...it's not! I've compiled a small list of where you can buy these beauties so that your silhouette will look as great as it did before the Steroids kicked in.

#1 - Debenhams


Body Shaper - £38
I absolutely love this all-in-one Shaper. It does wonders to your figure and keeps your tummy well and truly tucked away. This means you don't have to walk around with your hands casually placed in front of you to hide the bulge. I know I'm not the only one who does this - or am I?










#2 - Marks and Spencer

Shaping Slip - £27.50
Even as I write about this, I'm laughing. I used to hate wearing slips when I was younger, and now I swear by them - I think I'm turning into my mum. Although this isn't the exact slip my mum was talking about, the Shaping Slip doesn't fail to deliver, resulting in a perfect fitting dress that "hangs perfectly" as said by mum.










#3 - Asos

High Waist Thigh Slimmer - £30
A High Waist Thigh Slimmer is the perfect accompaniment to a High Waisted Skirt and will accentuate all curves that appear hidden or less defined. You'll be able to put on clothes that suit your body shape again without feeling like you have to play it safe.










#4 - Primark

 
Seam-free Waist Shaper
Briefs - £5

These briefs work wonders when you don't necessarily want to be nipped and tucked everywhere. The control isn't as fierce as the others, but it certainly beats the changing room scene in White Chicks (2004). Believe me, you won't have to "suck it in sister", you just need to make sure it's the right size so it does the job.









I have to confess, the one I bought is not on here, because once again, it's not available online. (I know, I should seriously stop visiting shops if I'm not able to find the link for you all.) Anyway, my Shape wear was from T K Maxx, and it has seen me through my bigger days and even though I don't rely on it as much, it still keeps me at times. Yes, I am talking about my undergarment like it's a friend. It helped me step out the door in outfits I didn't think I could pull off anymore, and it'll do the same for you.

Don't let weight gain, regardless of medication or other, stop you from taking pride in your appearance. If you invest in one of these, I promise you'll be able to rock Bodycon Dresses and High Waist Skirts again. What's more, you'll look and feel amazing at the same time. 

I hope this helps, but always remember to stay fabulous and keep smiling.

Sam xx

No comments:

Post a Comment